UTM to Geodetic Converter
iUTM™ - UTM, geodetic converter and UTM zones lookup for iPhone®.
To convert from Geodetic to UTM use Geodetic to UTM Converter.
The Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) projection is a modification of Transverse Mercator projection.
UTM differes in the following ways:
- The logitudes of the central meridians are 3 + 6 * (N - 1), where N represents a zone number in the range from 1 to 60. There are seven non-standard zones.
- The scale factor along the central meridian is 0.9996.
- In the northern hemisphere, the Y value has an origin of 0 meters at the equator.
- In the southern hemisphere, the Y value has an origin of 10,000,000 meters at the equator and decreases toward the pole.
- The X value, has an origin of 500,000 meters at the central meridian.
- Latitude limits are 84 N and 80 S.
- In each zone, the UTM projection extends for a 40km overlap into adjacent zones.
- The UTM projection also extends to 84.5 N and 80.5 S to overlap with UPS (Universal Polar Stereographic Projection).
This converter takes into account existance of non-standard UTM zones which are used in North Atlantic regions and Norway.
This converter has to be used only for coordinates which are within UTM zone boundaries, plus the overlap area.